Are you looking for the best dewormers for puppies?
Dog worm infestations are a common problem. Puppies are especially susceptible to the effects of worms because their endocrine and digestive systems are still developing. Your dog may contract worms which may negatively affect its health if not treated early.
Even though you might not think your dog has worms, these parasites can be contracted by your pup simply from being outside. Numerous situations can put dogs in danger of developing worms. Here are a few;
- A puppy can contract worms from eating worm-infested dirt.
- Some dogs get worms when burying their noses in the ground,
- Rummaging through trash cans
- Eating dirt
- Ingesting specific types of fleas when grooming
- Eating tiny animals, dead or alive
The common types of worms in puppies are;
Untreated parasites can take a heavy toll on your puppy’s health. The symptoms to look out for include;
- A persistent cough- dry and persistent coughing can be a sign of parasites, especially heartworms. Puppies infected by roundworms will develop a cough too as the parasite’s larvae get to the lungs. Only a severe case of hookworms will cause a dog to cough.
- Puppy diarrhea- diarrhea in puppies could also be a sign of worms. Puppies with hookworm may have blood in their diarrhea. Prolonged diarrhea with blood in stool is dangerous for a puppy. If left untreated, it can lead to death.
- Reduced energy- worms can cause a puppy to appear less active and lethargic. The worms feed on the blood and nutrients in the puppy’s body causing deterioration in activity and energy levels. (Inactivity could also be a sign of fading puppy syndrome).
- Vomiting- worms cause vomiting in dogs and you can tell the type of worm infesting your pup by the color of the puke. The vomit may be yellow-green (whipworms) or there could be worms in the vomit (roundworms, tapeworms, or hookworms).
- Dull coat color- a dull dry coat in a puppy could be a sign of worms. Severe infestation may also cause hair loss in dogs.
- Loss of appetite- roundworms can cause a loss in appetite in your dog. Other worms would increase the dog’s hunger, causing it to eat more.
- Weight loss in puppy whipworms and tapeworms will cause drastic weight loss in puppies. It is caused by parasites feeding on the food supposed to nourish the dog.
- Itchy and irritated skin- a sign of severe parasite infection. A dog may develop a rash and cannot stop itching.
- Worms in fecal matter or fur- tapeworms and roundworms often show up in these areas.
Keeping your dog free of parasites ensures that he or she stays healthy, but selecting the best treatment can be challenging given the wide variety of deworming products available out there. Which are the best deworming products for puppies?
We compiled a list of the best deworming products for dogs, each formulated with special ingredients to target different types of parasites in dogs. Are all dewormers safe for puppies? Let’s find out!
Tri-heart plus dewormer for puppies is the best value for money for anyone wanting to eradicate worms on a budget. Each deworming chew is formulated to kill and protect your puppy from roundworms, heartworms, and hookworms. Tri-heart plus deworming chews are recommended for puppies that are 25 lbs and below. If you are on a budget and still want to give your dog quality healthcare, this is the product to get.
Looking for a fast-working dewormer for puppies? Trifexis is a dewormer brand that has stood the test of time and is loved by pet parents for how fast it works. A single chew will start killing roundworms, whipworms, and hookworms in 30 minutes. Also, Trifexis deworming chews are fast acting against flea eggs. And for the icing on the cake, these deworming chews have a beef flavor that even a picky eater will find irresistible.
Now, not every puppy enjoys chewing down its medicine, so Panacur C came up with a brilliant idea. Treating parasites in puppies using powdered dewormer. Sprinkle a bit of the powder in your dog’s, their water, or favorite homemade doggy treat. This powder worm killer is ideal for eradicating tapeworms, whipworms, and hookworms. It takes about three days for the dewormer to start working. (Also check out Bullyade powdered supplement for puppies)
Sentinel Spectrum has been around for a while and is a trusted dewormer that does more than just kill worms. As one of the best deworming chews for puppies, Sentinel Spectrums is tough on heartworms, roundworms, whipworms, hookworms, and tapeworms. Additionally, Sentinel spectrum chews kill flea eggs before they hatch and help treat heartworm diseases. This deworming solution is ideal for puppies that are at least 6 weeks
Worried that your pup may have worms? Elanco Quad deworming chewables are perfect for killing worms before they develop into a full-blown infestation. This pack contains two deworming chews that will be effective in killing hookworms, roundworms, and whipworms before they multiply.
Sentry is another broad-spectrum best dewormers for puppies that kills various kinds of worms in a matter of days. The chewable tablets can eradicate two strains of tapeworms, three strains of hookworms, and two strains of roundworms. This vet-approved deworming solution is suitable for puppies that weigh between 6 lbs and 25 lbs. The chewable tablets are flavored which makes it easy for your pup to gobble up.
PetArmor deworming chews offer vet-quality protection against worms without spending your money on vet visits. Formulated with the safest ingredients for dogs, this deworming chews is fast-acting against three variants of hookworms and two variants of roundworms. Feed your pup this chew directly because it has a meaty flavor your dog will enjoy. Also, you can add it to dog food or wrap the chew in the dog’s tasty treat for easy administration.
8) Heartgard Best Dewormers for Puppies Plus
Heartgard is another per-parent favorite because it kills several types of worms in one go. The prescription drug kills heartworm larvae when administered monthly, and it also kills hookworms and roundworms. Heartgard tablets come in a chewable beef-flavored version, and puppies as young as 6 weeks old can take the drug.
Want to stop heartworms on their tracks? Iverhart Max dewormer for puppies will kill heartworms at their immature stage. formulated for pups that are 12 lbs to 25 lbs, these deworming chews will treat and control the spread of hookworms, tapeworms, and roundworms too.
Start giving your puppies Iverhart deworming chews when they are at least 8 weeks old. These chews have a bacon flavor that your pup will enjoy chewing on.
Drontal Plus dewormer for puppies is safe, and efficient, and removes all parasites in seven days. This dewormer for pups uses the ingredients praziquantel, pyrantel pamoate, and febantel to treat tapeworms, hookworms, roundworms, and whipworms. Dogs older than three weeks old can take this dewormer, which is available in chewable or tablet form.
We hope you learnt a lot from our top picks on the best dewormers for puppies. Puppies can get infected with worms while suckling or from ingesting foreign objects. Deworming your puppies regularly helps them absorb nutrients from food better and ensure they grow into healthy and strong dogs.
I am a highly skilled content writer and SEO expert with a passion for helping small businesses succeed in the digital world. With my extensive knowledge of the latest SEO techniques and strategies, I have successfully assisted numerous clients in improving their website rankings, generating more leads, and driving a significant increase in website traffic.
As a professional content writer and SEO expert, I am confident in my ability to contribute significantly to the success of small businesses. If you are seeking a results-driven, highly skilled digital marketer who can help you increase your ranking, convert new leads, and see a substantial improvement in website traffic, I would welcome the opportunity to collaborate with you.